“The thorough investigation included interviews with more than 15 people, in addition to Mr. Clevinger and the complainant, and a review of available documents, such as thousands of electronic communications records,” MLB said in a statement. a statement, adding that Commissioner Rob Manfred will not discipline Clevinger as a result of the findings.
Clevinger’s former partner went public with some of the allegations on social media in January. She alleged physical and verbal abuse and accused him of choking her and spitting chewing tobacco at their baby girl.
Sunday’s statement said Clevinger has agreed to “submit to Joint Treatment Board assessments under collectively negotiated policies and to comply with all recommendations of the boards.”
According to the policy agreed to by MLB and the players’ union, the joint council “shall be responsible for evaluating and, where appropriate, overseeing the treatment of players who have committed or are alleged to have committed covered acts.” It can also provide assessment and treatment to players who voluntarily request the assistance of the council. This council includes an expert in the field of domestic violence and/or child abuse, depending on the policy. The council’s recommendations will not be made public.
Trea Turner, reunited with old friends, slips into place with the Phillies
“I am pleased that Major League Baseball has concluded its investigation. I had nothing to hide and have fully cooperated with MLB. This situation has been stressful for my family, and I thank them for their strength and support. “Clevinger said in a statement through the Major League Baseball Players Association. “I’ve asked everyone not to rush to judgment until MLB’s investigation is complete, and I appreciate everyone who believed in me, including the White Sox organization and my teammates. I look forward to the 2023 season and help the White Sox win a championship this year.
Clevinger, 32, spent six major league seasons. He returned from Tommy John surgery to play in 23 games with the San Diego Padres last season, then signed a one-year contract with the White Sox.
General manager Rick Hahn said earlier this year that the team was unaware MLB was investigating allegations against Clevinger when it signed him to a $12 million deal in December. Under the joint policy, investigations are confidential.
When he reported to White Sox camp in February, Clevinger told reporters he had been under investigation for seven months. The allegations prompted a San Diego police report in June, according to a copy obtained by The Washington Post. But Clevinger had no legal obligation to tell MLB teams about the allegations, so he kept them to himself.
“I understand why he did it,” Hahn said then.
Hahn said the White Sox found “immaturity issues” when reviewing Clevinger’s background. They recalled Cleveland demoting him after violating coronavirus protocols in 2020, but he said the White Sox have never encountered “anything close” to the allegations MLB investigated.
Clevinger was a full participant in White Sox spring training. It is planned to make their starting rotation.