At the buzzer: Indiana 75, Michigan 73 – Inside the lobby

Quick thoughts on a 75-73 overtime win over Michigan:

How did it happen

Indiana appeared to be in good shape for a win on Sunday’s Senior Day at Assembly Hall. Michigan couldn’t buy a field goal in the first 15 minutes and the Hoosiers were up 27-13 at 4:32 on a Race Thompson bucket. But things quickly fell apart to close out the half. A Kobe Bufkin dunk started a 14-2 run for the Wolverines and suddenly Indiana’s lead was just two at intermission. Fouls also became an issue, as Trey Galloway picked up three and Jalen Hood-Schifino had two. The first half shooting numbers for both teams in the first 20 minutes were ugly. Michigan was just 2 for 11 of 3 and Indiana was just 1 for 9. Indiana was just 0.87 points per possession and Michigan was 0.81 points per trip .

Things quickly got worse in the second half for Indiana. Michigan started taking perimeter shots. And the Wolverines quickly increased their lead to double digits. At 1:42, Michigan was leading 52-40 on a Dug McDaniel 3-pointer. At the Under-12 media timeout, Indiana trailed 54-45. Out of the timeout, Hunter Dickinson committed his third foul and Trayce Jackson-Davis made both free throws to make it 54-47 with 11:24 to play. After a 3-point Dug McDaniel made Michigan 59-49, Indiana went under six at 60-54 on a 3-point Miller Kopp. The Hoosiers cut it to four on a Race Thompson bucket with 7:13 remaining and Thompson got a dunk and was fouled to make it 60-59 with 6:42 remaining. At the end of the under-four media, Michigan’s lead was 65-62.

Indiana got less than one on a Jackson-Davis bucket with 3:16 left, then Michigan turned it over on their next possession. The Hoosiers regained the lead on another Jackson-Davis basket with 2:49 to go. The Wolverines regained the lead at 67-66 at 1:46 on a pair of free throws from Kobe Bufkin. After Jackson-Davis missed the one-on-one lead, a Dickinson bucket made Michigan 69-66 with 1:15 left. Indiana responded with a Hood-Schifino 3-pointer to tie it at 69 with 59 seconds left. Michigan turned it over on their next possession, but Race Thompson couldn’t complete the transition and Michigan grabbed the rebound and called a timeout with 13.4 seconds left. Wolverines had a decent preview of their final possession for a 3-point Dicksinon, but he missed and IU called timeout with 0.7 seconds left. Jackson-Davis got a half-court shot that just missed, sending the game into overtime.

Indiana scored the first six points of overtime to make it 75-69, but Dickinson’s 3-pointer cut the lead to 75-72 with 1:58 left. Both teams went scoreless on their next two possessions and Michigan bounced back from a Jackson-Davis miss and called a three-timeout with 23 seconds left. Wolverines turned it over and fouled Thompson with 12.5 seconds left. Thompson missed both free throws and Indiana then fouled McDaniel with six seconds left. McDaniel made the first free throw but intentionally missed the second and Thompson grabbed the rebound and was fouled with 4.1 seconds left. Thompson again missed both free throws, but Michigan didn’t get a shot when time expired.

Outstanding performer

Jackson-Davis finished with 27 points, nine rebounds and six assists in 44 minutes in his final game at Assembly Hall. Thompson had a double-double with 16 points and 10 rebounds on senior day.

Stat that stands out

Indiana’s 12th victory landed a double bye at next week’s Big Ten tournament in Chicago. The Hoosiers will either be the No. 2 or No. 3 seed depending on Northwestern’s result at Rutgers later tonight.

Final Individual UI Stats

Final statistics without tempo

Assembly Call Post-Game Show

Filed at: Michigan Wolverines

Leave a Comment